Sunday, July 24, 2011

Death

Death

On May the 16th I had decided I was too tired to bath so I did what I had to and got into bed the next minute my phone rang it was my sister telling me she was taking Dad to Constantiaberg as he cannot breathe.

I jumped out of bed so fast put clothes on and was ready to go when they got here.

I spoke to my Dad and he was very calm did not say much/

We got to the hospital and sorted out all the papers while still in the waiting room my Dad grapped at his chest and seemed to be in pain so I asked my I get a Doctor and he replied no I am not going to go looking for one.

You are only allowed to have one person by the bed at a time so Natalie my sister went in first and they we trying to do an ecg but just as they were about to get a reading my dad would move and they would have to try the process again.The doctor took a phone call and when he came back he nurse said he had better look at the reading.

I felt so helpless not knowing what to do to help he kept on asking for Nols (my cousin) and we told him not to worry the doctor is going to help him.I remember him saying Carmen help me I cannot breathe and I thought it was from the chest infection he had.

at one point we were both in the room and then they sent us out so they could do a chest x ray.
We waited a long time and when it looked like they were done I said I was going in to check on him. His pulse rate was dropping and when I spoke to the doctor he said its critical but he just needs to turn the corner and as I was about to leave my Dad said I love you darling and I turned and said I love you too.(I still remeber his eyes rolling and thinking it does not look good) I will see you now not for one moment did I think i would never see him alive again. So I was the last family member so see him as we were no allowed in after that. We waited and waited and waited. The doctor eventually came out at about 12:25 and said he had to talk to us.

I just knew that my worst fear was about to come a reality. HE announced that my Dad's heart stopped twice and that he tried everything he could for about 25 minutes but God knew and I believe every thing worked according to his plan and although we feel we are not ready to say good bye and the fact that is was such a shock to us all I am thankful it was quick and I hope not to painful and am thankful that neither my parent's suffered for long periods but I do miss both of them so much.

I called Colin to say I am on my way home and to share what had happened and I could not get hold of him at first when I reached him he could not believe it.

When I got home there was a drunk outside our gate just what I wanted to deal with eventually he moved on and I came inside and just sobbed the whole night long.